Status: The tunnels are open and operating as normal. As part of an ongoing trial, the tunnels are open 24hrs.
In line with the latest Government and Public Health advice, visitors are strongly recommended to observe the following when using the Pedestrian and Cyclist Tunnels.
1. PLEASE WEAR A FACE COVERING. Protect yourself and others by wearing a face covering when using the tunnels, lifts and surrounding areas unless you are exempt for health reasons.
2. PEDESTRIANS should travel DOWN to the Tunnels using the WOODEN ESCALATORS, walking in single file at least 2 metres apart.
3. PEDESTRIANS should travel UP from the Tunnels using the VERTICAL LIFTS.
4. CYCLISTS and those with LIMITED MOBILITY should use the VERTICAL LIFTS to travel up and down.
5. NO MORE THAN 2 PEDESTRIANS SHOULD USE THE VERTICAL LIFTS AT ONE TIME.
6. NO MORE THAN 1 CYCLIST SHOULD USE THE VERTICAL LIFTS AT ONE TIME
7. PEDESTRIANS passing others in the Tunnel should KEEP THEIR DISTANCE, walk in single file or in family groups of 2.
8. AFTER USING THE TUNNELS, pedestrians and cyclists should WASH THEIR HANDS as recommended by Government guidance AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Thank you for your co-operation. Observing these rules will help save lives.
Discover the newly-restored Pedestrian and Cyclist Tunnels between Howdon and Jarrow. Travel back in time to the 1950s when the Tunnels first opened, creating a vital link for thousands of Tynesiders working in the shipyards and factories along the River Tyne.
Enjoy the experience of cycling or walking under the river – without getting your feet or tyres wet! And it’s free! Explore the attractions of North Tyneside, South Tyneside and beyond. Keep fit. Go green.